Peru Defeat Jamaica

Reggae Boyz Head Coach Theodore “Tappa” Whitmore has expressed disappointment in the performance of the team in their friendly international against hosts Peru at the Estadio de La Unsa on Tuesday night.

In the 1-3 defeat, the Jamaica tactician said he is not buying into the argument that playing at a high altitude and not having a full training session ahead of the match contributed to the largely below-par showing.

On the night, Edison Flores opened the scoring in the 21st minute for Peru, while Renato Tapia (44th) and Paolo Guerrero (58th) added the others for the South Americans.

Jermaine Teddy Johnson, a livewire after coming into the match as a 57th-minute substitute, got Jamaica's consolation in the 86th minute with an expert effort from the penalty spot.

The result was not much of a concern, but I was disappointed with the performance as I thought we were not organised, we didn't play with any belief and the turnover rate was high, just to name a few of the things,” Whitmore told the Jamaica Observer.

Also, the movement and the tracking of players was disappointing, and we were not organiused, especially in defence and midfield… the Peruvians gave us a lot of room to exploit which we didn't and then we allowed them in not being compact to play and it cost us,” he added.

The France World Cup star, who is on his second full stint in charge of the senior Boyz, said the midfield on the night was missing in action, thus leaving the strikers without the backing ideal for them to be productive on the offensive front.

To be fair, I don't believe our strikers (Shamar) Nicholson and (Cory) Burke got the services they were looking for. Again, it's a learning process and we just have to move on and see where we went wrong and make it right for the next game,” said Whitmore.

The former Jamaica midfielder and captain said those who are seeking excuses for the performance should think again.

We don't want to be looking for excuses as we are the national team and regardless of the result, we expect to get something in the way we manage the game and how we function on the field and I was not pleased with that aspect.

You will hear that the altitude and the team not playing together and players playing together for the first time, but I am not going to join that argument as the national team we must at least have seen some organisation and we didn't see that, he noted.

As a positive, Whitmore singled out the contribution of the veteran Johnson and that the exercise would have laid the foundation for the nurturing of the younger players in the squad.

When Teddy (Jermaine) Johnson came onto the field you see that he wanted the football and he demanded it.

The more games we play it will be better for them (younger players), and as I said I am not looking for excuses, as we may have to play in similar conditions at the Gold Cup when we go to Colorado and that's why we don't want to say the altitude was a factor, because if we want to play at this level, then these are the conditions and the sort of games we have to play to show where we are and where we want to go at the end of the day, he explained.

With the Caribbean Cup title to defend in Martinique June 22-25 in sharp focus, Whitmore said the Peru experience would have served as an eye-opener for some players in the general course forward.

It (Peru match) would have to help us somewhere along the line as the players, especially the local-based ones, would have realised the pace of the game and the conditions we have to play in at this level, and now they will realise that they must step up to the plate, he stated.

Whitmore conceded that as defending champions of the region expectations will be high of his mostly local-based team when they go onto the field in Martinique.

There will be pressure because we are the defending champions and everybody is looking forward to playing against a Jamaica team, just like how we are looking to play against everybody we just have to keep our composure and keep our heads.

It will be a balanced set (of players) and one which can bring home glory at the end of the day,he noted.

Tuesday night's match was the final preparation match before the Boyz take off next Monday to defend their Caribbean Cup title.