French Guiana hosts Jamaica National Team

Florent Malouda may be a long way from his glory days with the French national team and English giants Chelsea.

But it has been a sweet journey back to the land of his birth which he will represent for the first time when French Guiana open against Jamaica today in the Scotiabank CFU Men's Caribbean Cup semi-finals at the the Stade Pierre Aliker in Martinique's capital of Fort-de-France. Match time is 6:00 pm (5:00 pm Jamaica time).

French Guiana and hosts Martinique are Overseas Departments of France, therefore their citizens are French and are eligible in the context of football to represent the mother country in Europe.

Malouda, 37, has had a distinguished career with Les Bleus, representing them in two World Cups — Germany 2006, where France were beaten finalists, and South Africa 2010.

With France, Chelsea and many-time French champions Lyon, Malouda sailed the high seas of the best that football has to offer, and on that magical ride, won multiple titles. Among them, club football's Holy Grail, the Champions League, which he hoisted with Chelsea.

And though it would be easy for one to think that in his twilight and coming back to his Caribbean roots a step down, the winger believes he has answered a higher calling.

I was born and raised in Cayenne, French Guiana, and I left when I was 15 to go to a football academy in France and everybody knows me because I played with the French national team, and to be back with this team and the kids and be here to represent French Guiana in an official competition is just great, he told the Jamaica Observer yesterday.

The former France left-winger and attacking midfielder admitted that he has repurposed his role, taking the responsibility on broad shoulders to help develop the next generation of players in French Guiana, which is part of South America caressed by the Caribbean sea.

I bring the same passion to the game that I bring to French Guiana and everybody knows what I have done at the highest level, but people have to know that during those times I was involved in grass-roots football with my friends back home, so for me to bring my experience at this highest level to try and help the next generation of players to take my place is something special.

This is my role now in the team and I was not available before because I was too far (in India) and since I have made myself available for these tournaments it's a great experience for me as well as I have the opportunity to give back on the pitch while I am still playing, so I am blessed,” said the Frenchman with an English tongue.

Malouda, who now plays his football in India with the Delhi Dynamos, will also be sticking around to help French Guiana as they pursue glory in the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the USA next month.

They will play in Group A with Honduras, Costa Rica and Canada.

The former Lyon star said the plan, which has started, is to establish French Guiana as a powerhouse in the Caribbean and respected football playing nation in the wider CONCACAF.

As I have said we are a fresh team and we have ambitions to make our name in the Caribbean and it is something new for us as most of the players are expecting to go and play with France, but now since we are part of CONCACAF and CFU we are trying to get a better ranking and we need to make our name in the Caribbean and this is a great opportunity.

We are looking at the first step and that is the game against Jamaica and if we are going to lift the title we must have success against Jamaica,Malouda noted.

Similarly to what he is trying to do for French Guiana football, the Frenchman is on a pioneering mission in India as he is helping to grow their football. He thinks, like China, India has the population and support to drive a massive market for the sport.

Football is new in India and the league is trying to develop and promote football in this huge country and it has started getting better... but it's exciting to be a part of what is happening on that side of the world as it's a country with a huge fanbase for the football, obviously they are more linked to British teams, but now to have Indian players playing on their home soil and this is something new so they are trying their best to make it happen.

So far it has been a great experience and it's similar to what I do with French Guiana to share with players who are growing it's not at the same level, but there is so much to do on and off the pitch and I think that my experience has been very useful there,” he ended.