Je-Vaughn Watson's World Cup Disappointment May Inspire Kids

Je-Vaughn Watson can't seem to get over Jamaica's inglorious elimination from the Russia 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign.

When this tough, no-nonsense competitor bleeds so much from an ugly memory, it must have touched a delicate nerve.

It hurts a lot because every time I get called to camp it plays on my mind how we could have made it to the next round, or whenever I watch it on TV I keep wondering what we could have done better to be in that round.

Even last night (Wednesday) when I got here (in Tennessee) I was thinking about it, I just cant believe that we are not in the campaign to go the next World Cup, but you know i's football and things happen. We have to just push on and make sure we don't make the same mistakes again, he lamented.

The Dallas FC toughman, who is on loan to New England Revolution of the US Major League, has his own ideas why a relatively strong Jamaica team finished miserably at the bottom of their group in the fourth round of the CONCACAF qualifiers.
I think preparation had a lot to do with it as when you look around the team everybody was friends, the camaraderie in the team was good.

But I think in the end the preparation wasn't good because football is getting bigger where preparation doesn't only mean going on the field and play, but you have to watch videos of your opponents, getting to places on time, said the former Central Academy standout.

But Watson says he has seen some positive signs since Theodore Whitmore assumed the head coach role, which could head off a recurrence of some of the negatives of the past.

Since Tappa came in we see some changes as he is making sure that every tool we need we have and everyone has their job description, the attacking midfielder told the
Jamaica Observer.
As team captain and elder statesman, Watson's role in the team has grown more important, especially that a lot of young local-based players have been injected, as Whitmore plots the course forward.

My role is very important as I have been around for a long time and I have been trying to show the guys the ropes and trying to instil discipline and proper work ethics for everybody.

As the elder player I am here to guide the others and make sure some rules are followed, as you know off the field activity is just as important as on the field, Watson said.

Watson, 33, will lead the Reggae Boyz into battle today against old foes the USA in a friendly international at Finley Stadium with kick-off set for 7:00 pm.

And when he does he knows that it is a position he will not be able to hold to forever, but he intends to keep moving to the Reggae Boyz beat as long as his legs will take him.

I will push as long as possible, as long as my body holds up and my mind is there, but this a game and you could get hurt and it's all over.

But I will just be trying to stay fit, injury-free and work hard, and I will always be trying to make my country proud every time I go on the field and I will always be ready to represent my country when called upon, said the former Houston Dynamo man.

With some six years playing professionally in the USA, Watson, affectionately called Akka, noted that he was happy with his stint with New England Revolution, but aims to score more goals in the coming season.

It's been good since I have been with them last March, and played a couple of games and scored eight goals overall, but it has been a good experience playing for them.

I am now hoping this year I can get more goals as I like scoring goals. Right now we are in preseason and the coach is good and the players are good, so I am just looking forward to the new season, Watson ended.